April 24, 2018
Sent on behalf of Serena Chen
Dear Campus Community,
The Berkeley Collegium is pleased to make two announcements.
First, we would like to recognize the recipient of this year’s Berkeley Collegium Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Education. This award was established in 2014 to recognize an existing program, initiative, or unit on campus that we believe has exceptional promise or a track record of success in promoting undergraduate education at Cal. The award is intended to recognize the aims or accomplishments of the program, initiative, or unit, as well as to provide funding (in the amount of $10K) for continuing or expanding its efforts. This year’s recipients is:
- UC Berkeley Food Pantry
Second, we would like to announce the outcome of the fifth annual Berkeley Collegium “Narrowing the gap between teaching and research” Call for Proposals. UC Berkeley is one of the leading research institutions in the world. Our faculty is committed to intellectual discovery and creation. At the same time, we strive for excellence in teaching. In our view, a critical component of teaching is introducing students to research, enabling them to see how intellectual curiosity is translated into discovery, expression, and understanding. Accordingly, the Collegium aims to find ways to integrate research and discovery into the Cal undergraduate experience, narrowing the gap between teaching and research. Towards this end, each spring the Collegium invites proposals for projects that narrow the gap between teaching and research. Grant awardees receive up to $20K to support their projects. We were able to fund five projects for this year’s cycle. This year’s awardees and project titles are:
- Sabrina Agarwal (Anthropology), "The UCB Anthropology Undergraduate Bioarchaeology Research Experience"
- John Arnold, Anne Baranger, and Teresa Head-Gordon (Chemistry), "Expanding Research Opportunities for Chemistry Undergraduates: Computational Chemistry for Transfer Students (CC-TS)"
- Irene Bloemraad (Sociology), "Mapping Spatial Inequality - Immigrants in Poverty and Community Services"
- Carl Boettiger (Environmental Science, Policy, and Management), "Conducting Research at the Frontier of Global Change & Data Science"
- Iryna Dronova (Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning), "Empowering urban design innovation using cutting-edge environmental science tools"
About the Berkeley Collegium:
The Berkeley Collegium is charged with the mission of fostering innovation and excellence in undergraduate teaching at UC Berkeley. Its members are among Berkeley’s most creative, inspiring, and effective teachers, and the Collegium provides this group of exceptional faculty members with resources for initiatives that will elevate teaching, especially at the undergraduate level, across the campus. The Collegium leads the identification and development of new ideas, supports their implementation, and assesses their success. It also partners with other campus organizations that would benefit from its advice and assistance. For more information, visit http://collegium.berkeley.edu/.
Berkeley Collegium Faculty Director