Vice Chancellor of Undergraduate Education
Catherine P. Koshland is the Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education at UC Berkeley, and the Wood-Calvert Professor in the College of Engineering. She is a professor of Environmental Health Sciences in the School of Public Health and a professor in the Energy and Resources Group. Professor Koshland graduated with a B.A. in Fine Arts from Haverford College, studied painting at the New York School of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture, and received her M.S. in 1978 and her Ph.D. in 1985 in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University. She was a former member of the Haverford College Board of Managers from 1994-2014 and served as Board Co-Chair from 2005-09 and Chair from 2009-14. She is a past parent at Cal with daughter Sarah a 1999 graduate and daughter Maggie a 2002 graduate. Her husband Jim Koshland is a UCBF Trustee. Son Jacob (Williams ’09) is attending Haas to earn his MBA and is an ardent Cal fan.
Among Vice Chancellor Koshland’s responsibilities are major operating units, including Summer Sessions, Study Abroad and Lifelong Learning (SSALL), the Athletic Study Center, The Student Learning Center, and Research, Teaching, and Learning Support (includes Educational Technology Services and Digital Content Services). Her office has responsibility for several strategic academic initiatives and programs, including Berkeley Connect, the Berkeley Collegium, the American Cultures Center, and Berkeley Arts + Design, and provides support to faculty development through the Center for Teaching and Learning. In addition, her office advises on enrollment planning and management, and serves as a liaison for academic units with many campus administrative offices. She convenes the Council of College Deans.
Through service on campus committees, the Vice Chancellor provides leadership, guidance, and support to activities dedicated to the ongoing improvement of undergraduate education.
- Advising Council (AC) - chair
- Advising Council (AC) Executive Committee - chair
- Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate -- Undergraduate Council (UGC) - invited participant
- Campus Committee on Classroom Policy and Management (CCCPM) - chair
- Chancellor’s Cabinet - member
- Council of Deans - member
- Council of Undergraduate Deans - member
- Golden Bear Experience Steering Committee - co-convener
- Information Technology Strategy Committee - member
- Research, Teaching, and Learning Technologies Committee - co-chair
- Student Advisory Council on Undergraduate Education (SACUE) - convener
- Student Information Systems Executive Committee - co-chair
- Temporary Academic Support (TAS) Leadership Committee - member
- Undergraduate Admissions Coordination Board - member
- University Athletics Board - co-chair